Dental Assistant Responsibilities:
- Prepare treatment room to support dental care
- Prepare patient, materials and instruments
- Assist dentist and dental hygienists during consultations
- Perform procedures in compliance with the Dental Practice Act
Dental Assistant Duties
- Following procedures and protocols prepare to treatment room for patients.
- Welcome, comfort, seat and drape patient to prepare for dental treatment
- Answer patient and employee questions and requests.
- Assist dentist by sterilizing and providing instruments for treatment area, position these instruments for dentists eg. Suctioning and passing instruments.
- Selecting, mixing and placing materials on instruments in patient’s mouth
- Providing diagnostic information through developing radiographic studies; pouring, trimming and polishing study casts.
- Fabricate temporary restorations to maintain patient appearance and ability to masticate eg. Cleaning and removing polishing appliances.
- Assist in medical emergency with relevant CPR certification, emergency drug or oxygen supply and aware of emergency telephone directory.
- Assists patients by educating them on correct oral hygiene practices, plaque control and giving postoperative instructions.
- Chart patient dental care in patient records.
- Maintain patient confidentiality by keeping all patient information private.
- Comply with procedures, rules and regulations to maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Adhere to infection-control protocols and policies to protect patients and staff.
- Ensure dental equipment is used in line with maintenance requirements by following manufacturer instructions, calling for repairs, retaining inventories, appraising new equipment and techniques.
- Checking stock to maintain supply inventory, anticipating stock requirements, placing orders for supplies, verifying receipt of supplies.
- Use equipment as needed to conserve supplies while achieving results.
- Continued education by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, networking professionally.
- Accomplish results by contributing to a team of staff.
Dental Assistant Skills and Qualifications
- Dental Health Maintenance Knowledge
- Experience using Dental Technology
- Experience using Medical Technology
- Able to perform diagnostic procedures
- Aware of Infection Control procedures
- Experience with Patient Services
- Committed to creating a safe, effective environment
- Good listener and has strong teamwork skills